Saturday, August 16, 2008

Life

Everyone has heard the saying,"Life is what happens to you when you are making plans." That couldn't be more true for our family this week. Yesterday, I took Demarcus to the Dr after three days of chasing a 105 fever, second guessing myself all the way. We got there and the Dr found a new heart murmur and streph throat ...oh and a secondary ear infection. Wow, for an old cardiac nurse the new heart murmur takes your breath away. Images of the "worst case senario" flash through your mind in an instance. However, the Dr assured me that just the stress of dehydration and the flu can cause a temporay murmur in a little toddler and to bring him back in a week or two for a check. As we are leaving she also mentions to let her know if he isn't getting better because,"Streph can cause Rheumatic fever!!!" Wow...I leave a little stunned, already silently praying for God to protect Demarcus' heart and very grateful I overcame that second thought and took him.
We got home and I sat down to read my e-mail. I found an e-mail from Desimond's orphanage that his BF had been there that afternoon asking about Desimond and also told them that he was ill. I was speachless and stunned to say the least. To our knowledge, he has never returned to the orphanage in 4 years. We had always wanted to take Desimond back to Haiti and find his biofamily, especially his BF. But we had not done this yet as he is so young. I have e-mailed the orphanage to see if they have more details.
If you know me very well at all, you will understand that these events sent me into a tail spin. I love my structured and simple life and two crisis in one day can take me out of comission and straight into shut down mode. Between imaging Demarcus having open heart surgery or a heart transplant (all you nurses out there will totally understand) and feeling that we had totally failed Desimond. I headed to bed. In 37 years I have learned to tomorrow will be a better day, for the first time today I understand what it truely means to "run the good race". Funny how God used the word run, not win or finish, but mearly to run. Today I understand that continuing is conquering.

No comments: